Friday 16 October 2009

Com-poké-pletonist

1254080542922 I’m sure a lot of you are aware that I play Pokémon games as I go by the name of “PkmnTrainerJ” all over the internet. You can say “it’s for kids” and all the stuff I’ve heard many times before, but I don’t mind. It’s still an enjoyable RPG and like most RPG’s it makes me want to 100% the game.

In case you’ve never played a Pokémon game before, the basics are that you raise a team of monsters, beat a varying amount of tough trainers (gym leaders) and then move on to tougher challenges (known as the Elite Four and occasionally a Battle Frontier) and your team of Pokémon gains levels, get new abilities and evolve and so forth.

1231107008577lw62 However, there’s also something called the Pokédex which will fill up once you capture Pokémon, and as the amount of Pokémon available leaps up each generation, filling it becomes a little more difficult each time as it went from 151 (first few games) to 493 (current) but I try and fill it each game by legitimate purposes, rather than buying a gameshark or similar device and simply cheating.

This does mean that I’ve had to go to events for it, and other things such as downloading special things via wi-fi, but it’s all worth it. I love when I go to events and meet fans, especially those that I know off forums or social networking sites and it’s fun to actually explore the whole area of the game when it gets unlocked by these events. For your information, my Pokédex’s stand at:

  • Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow – 151/151 (I had to exploit a small glitch in order to catch Mew)
  • Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal – 250/251 (For everywhere except Japan it was impossible to obtain Celebi, due to an item never being released anywhere else)
  • Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen – 386/386 (This generation was relatively easy, Deoxys from an item, Jirachi from another game, Celebi from a friend who attended an event in America, all legendary birds from an event in the UK and various others picked up at events. I also encountered my first shiny this generation with a green-coloured Mewtwo)
  • Pokémon Pearl/Diamond/Platinum – 492/493 (This generation bought WiFi with it making things a lot easier, but the final Pokémon, Arceus, has yet to be released to the UK)

So, yes. I love completing the Pokédex. I apologise for all the colours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit comments